Cloud Foundry Foundation
Trademark Usage Guidelines
The CloudFoundry.org Foundation, Inc. (the “Cloud Foundry Foundation” or “Foundation”) counts among its most valuable assets its trademarks, service marks and logos (collectively, the “CLOUD FOUNDRY marks”), and the goodwill that these trademarks, service marks and logos represent. Cloud Foundry owns all rights and interest in and to the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks, which include, but are not limited to, BOSH, CLOUD FOUNDRY, CLOUD FOUNDRY FOUNDATION, CLOUD FOUNDRY CERTIFIED, CF, OPEN SERVICE BROKER API, PROJECT EIRINI, and CF CONTAINERIZATION.
The Cloud Foundry Foundation has a purpose and mission of making the CLOUD FOUNDRY platform the leading application platform for cloud computing worldwide. The Foundation drives the global awareness and adoption of the CLOUD FOUNDRY open source project, to grow a vibrant community of contributors, and to create coherence in strategy and action across all member companies for the sake of the project. The Foundation also seeks to build a community of companies and individuals that develop, distribute, promote and use goods and services on the CLOUD FOUNDRY platform. As such, the Foundation permits and encourages use of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks in connection with this activity, which will help build awareness of and expand the Cloud Foundry community. Such third-party use of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks, however, must follow certain legal guidelines in order for the Foundation to protect and preserve its rights in the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks, which will in turn help to protect the strength and vitality of the Cloud Foundry community.Accordingly, the Cloud Foundry Foundation has established these Usage Guidelines for the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks (the “Usage Guidelines”). These Usage Guidelines must be followed to insure proper usage of CLOUD FOUNDRY marks and to prevent any impairment of those marks that can result from improper use.
Proper Use of CLOUD FOUNDRY Marks
To insure proper use of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks, unless you are authorized and licensed by the Foundation to use the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks in a different manner, you must adhere to the following:
- On product packaging, advertising and other collateral material, use of any CLOUD FOUNDRY marks must be less prominent than your brand, preferably by use of a different type font, size and color;
- Any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark must be used independently and separately from your trade names, service marks, logos or trademarks, and not combined into a compound mark;
- Your own name or trademark must be displayed wherever a CLOUD FOUNDRY mark is displayed;
- The marks CLOUD FOUNDRY and CF must be used only as an adjective followed by a generic description of the branded goods or services the first time it is used in text, and as often as is feasible after that. For example, “CLOUD FOUNDRY software” or “the CLOUD FOUNDRY platform” would be proper usage of the mark;
- The ® or TM symbol, as appropriate, must be included with the first or most prevalent use of any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in materials on which it appears. For a listing of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks and their current status, please refer to the Brand Guidelines;
- An attribution statement must be included in a legend on packaging, splash screens, web pages and other materials where the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks appear. The statement should read: “CLOUD FOUNDRY and (list any other CLOUD FOUNDRY marks you are using) are trademarks of the CloudFoundry.org Foundation in the United States and other countries.”
- The CLOUD FOUNDRY marks must be used only in the exact form indicated by the Foundation. The proper form of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks is set forth in the CLOUD FOUNDRY Brand Guidelines (the “Brand Guidelines,” available at https://www.cloudfoundry.org/logo/). The Brand Guidelines are incorporated in their entirety in these Usage Guidelines; and
- You must comply with a request from the Foundation to correct, remedy or discontinue any use of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks that is determined by the Foundation to be improper under these guidelines.
You may not use the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks in any way that could cause confusion as to the source of the goods or services in connection with which the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks are used or in any way that could damage the valuable goodwill in the marks that the Cloud Foundry Foundation has developed. Accordingly, unless otherwise authorized and licensed by the Foundation, you must not:
- Display a CLOUD FOUNDRY mark more prominently, larger than or before your name or logo or your product name or logo, wherever displayed;
- Refer to your products or services with respect to which the CLOUD FOUNDRY mark is referenced as a Foundation product or imply that the Foundation produced, endorsed or supported your products;
- Except for using the phrase “for the CLOUD FOUNDRY platform” in connection with services and/or applications that are intended to plug into or otherwise be used with the CLOUD FOUNDRY PaaS, or as otherwise authorized and licensed by the Foundation, use terms including, but not limited to, “powered by,” “works with,” “compatible with,” “built for” and “built by” in connection with any product or service;
- Use the terms “Certified” or “Certification” in connection with a CLOUD FOUNDRY mark, unless the product or service being offered in connection with the mark has been formally certified by the Foundation;
- Use a CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in any way that it was not intended to be used;
- Use a CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in connection with any products or services that are not related to, built for or associated with the CLOUD FOUNDRY platform;
- Display a CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in a manner or location disparaging to the Foundation;
- Display the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks in any publication or on a website that is pornographic, violent in nature, in poor taste or unlawful, or which has a purpose or objective of encouraging unlawful activities;
- Except for CLOUD FOUNDRY FOUNDATION, you may use the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks only as an adjective, and may not use them as a noun, verb, in the possessive form or in the plural form;
- Use any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark as part of a compound mark, so that the name of your company, product or logo appears directly next to any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in the name of a product or service; or
- Include any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in your company name, business name or name of your products, technology, services, web page or in any manner suggesting an affiliation with the Foundation or endorsement by the Foundation of the beliefs, ideas, products, technology or services of your company.
Domain Names and Internet Marketing
You may not include any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark or any word or phrase confusingly similar to a CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in any domain name. You may not use any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in Google AdWords advertising text or in the text of any other similar advertising.
“CLOUD FOUNDRY CERTIFIED” Certification Mark
The Foundation has a certification program for third-party goods and services that meet certain standards. Details of this program are available at https://www.cloudfoundry.org/programs/#certified. Only companies and individuals that the Foundation has certified may use the CLOUD FOUNDRY CERTIFIED certification mark in association with the certified goods or services. No other entity may use the CLOUD FOUNDRY CERTIFIED certification mark. In addition, as stated above, no party may use “Certified” or “Certification” in connection with a CLOUD FOUNDRY mark, unless the product or service being offered in connection with the mark has been formally certified by the Foundation. Proper use of the CLOUD FOUNDRY CERTIFIED certification mark is set forth in the “Cloud Foundry PaaS Certification Mark Guidelines” (the “Certification Mark Guidelines,” available on the website at https://www.cloudfoundry.org/trademark, which are incorporated herein in their entirety).
Limited License for Use of the CLOUD FOUNDRY Marks
Instances exist in which you may want to use the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks in connection with a presentation, speech, report, press release, and other similar situations. For such uses in which you are only identifying or describing the FOUNDATION or the CLOUD FOUNDRY goods and services, the Foundation grants you a limited, revocable, and non-exclusive license to use the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks in connection with such use. Use permitted pursuant to this limited license is limited to only identifying or describing the FOUNDATION or the CLOUD FOUNDRY goods and services, and it must otherwise comply with these Usage Guidelines.
Use of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks may be permitted if use of the marks would be considered nominative fair use. Nominative fair use is intended to encourage people to refer to the trademarked goods and services of others by using the trademark itself.
Obtaining a License for Other Uses
If you wish to use any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark in a manner not set forth in these Usage Guidelines, or beyond the uses permitted in these Usage Guidelines, you must contact the Foundation to seek permission and obtain a license to do so, which the Foundation will grant or deny at its sole discretion. You can contact email@example.com to inquire about the potential to obtain such a license.
Agreement to Terms
By accessing these Usage Guidelines, using any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark or downloading any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark or logo from the website, you agree to be bound by these Usage Guidelines, Certification Mark Guidelines and Brand Guidelines. In addition, by using any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark, you acknowledge that the Cloud Foundry Foundation is the sole owner of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks, and you agree not to challenge the Foundation’s use, registrations of or applications to register the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks. Any goodwill derived from the use of any CLOUD FOUNDRY mark shall exclusively inure to the benefit of the Cloud Foundry Foundation.
The foregoing guidelines are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of proper trademark use. The Foundation reserves the right to object to any use of the CLOUD FOUNDRY marks that the Foundation, in its sole discretion, deems unlawful or improper, even if such use is not expressly prohibited hereunder. The Usage Guidelines, Certification Mark Guidelines and Brand Guidelines have worldwide applications, and the Foundation reserves the right to revise them from time to time, without notice.
Nothing in these Usage Guidelines, Certification Mark Guidelines or Brand Guidelines shall be interpreted to allow any third party to claim any association with the Cloud Foundry Foundation or any of its projects or to imply any approval or support by the Foundation for any third party products or services.