In the cloud era, the application platform will be delivered as a service, often described as Platform as a Service (PaaS). PaaS makes it much easier to deploy, run and scale applications. Some PaaS offerings have limited language and framework support, do not deliver key application services, or restrict deployment to a single cloud. Cloud Foundry is the industry’s Open PaaS and provides a choice of clouds, frameworks and application services. As an open source project, there is a broad community both contributing and supporting Cloud Foundry.
Open cloud and open source are only part of the transformation underway, there is also a massive narrative building around continuous innovation and high velocity agile development. Some open source projects foster inclusiveness and sacrifice velocity while some increase velocity at the expense of transparency. Cloud Foundry.org’s unique vision is to foster contributions from a broad community of developers, users, customers, partners and ISVs while advancing development of the platform at extreme velocity. Cloud Foundry.org exists to provide a platform for the community of customers, partners and even former competitors to collaborate, teach, share and learn together, accelerating the pace of innovation and contribution. The best way to get involved is to join the conversation, contribute to the wiki and fork the code. We call it ‘fierce collaboration’ and we hope you will join us.
Who's Using It
|Cloud Foundry helped to launch three new products for a major insurance company in just seven months. Read More|
|Monsanto connected Cloud Foundry to HBase and kicked-off their next generation application and data analytics platform. Watch|
|Cloud Foundry helps Verizon customers speed up application delivery and dynamically scale applications. Read More|
|Cloud Foundry helped SAP to streamline and speed up their development. Watch|
|Baidu serves up One Billion page views a day with Cloud Foundry. Read More|
|NTT Communications delivers global cloud services, based on Cloud Foundry, to enterprise customers. Read More|
|Rakuten—the Largest E-commerce Company in Japan relies on Cloud Foundry. Watch|
|CoreLogic is building a product and data delivery platform based on Cloud Foundry. Watch|
|Bank of New York Mellon's experiences with Cloud Foundry are influencing their strategy. Watch|
|Swisscom is using Cloud Foundry to help build its future cloud platform. Watch|
|Cisco discusses their experience with Cloud Foundry. Watch|
|With Cloud Foundry, Axel Springer realized their vision of an innovative, fully automated service delivery platform by accelerating the time and quantity to market rate and reducing IT costs at the same time. Watch|
|The Church of Latter-Day Saints uses Java to build Cloud Foundry components such as service brokers and BOSH to deploy. Watch|
|Cloud Foundry is helping SAS, a software vendor with 35+ years of industry history, rework its software and business. Watch|
|Canopy Cloud Fabric offers Cloud Foundry as a managed cloud service for enterprises looking for choice of tenancy, location and hosting options; rock solid enterprise SLAs; and consulting, customisation and developer professional services. Watch|
The Cloud Foundry Foundation's mission is to establish and sustain Cloud Foundry as the global industry standard open source PaaS technology with a thriving ecosystem; to deliver continuous quality, value and innovation to users, operators and providers of Cloud Foundry technology; and, to provide a vibrant agile experience for the community's contributors that delivers the highest quality cloud-native applications and software, at high velocity with global scale.
Its guiding principles are:
- Governance By Contribution - Influence within the Foundation is based on contributions.
- IP Hygiene - IP cleanliness must be preserved at all times.
- Equal Opportunity To Participate - Everyone has an equal opportunity to participate in projects.
- No Surprises - Planning processes and project status are open to all.
The Cloud Foundry Foundation is comprised of the following members:
Foundation Governance Documents
- Community Code of Conduct: Describes the code of conduct of the Cloud Foundry Foundation
- Bylaws: Describes the Foundation Board of Directors, membership and rules
- Development Governance Policy: Outlines the structure of the Development community including projects, PMCs and the PMC Council
- Development Operations Policy: Outlines the operations of the Development community
- Membership Agreement: Required in order to join the Foundation
- Individual CLA: Required in order for an individual to submit code for a Cloud Foundry project
- Corporate CLA: Required in order for a company to submit code for a Cloud Foundry project
- Intellectual Property Policy: Describes the IP policies and licenses for Cloud Foundry projects
- Antitrust Guidelines: Outlines the conduct for the organization and members to promote fair competition
- Guiding Principles: Outlines the guiding principles and overall technical structure of the Cloud Foundry Foundation
Corporations Contributing to Cloud Foundry
Join the other organizations that have signed the corporate contributor's license agreement enabling them to contribute to Cloud Foundry.
- AppFog (Savvis)
- Blue Box
- CloudSoft Corp
- DTS Corporation
- Ebay x.commerce
- Innovation Factory
- Load Impact
- Neo Technology
- Northwest Independent Ruby Development
- Piston Cloud
- Redis Labs
- Sebula Bilisim Tek. LTD STI
- SM-ePaaS, Inc
- Stark & Wayne
- Tier 3
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Uhuru Software
- Velankani Information Systems
- Zhejiang University