Cloud Foundry production use sees massive year over year growth, more than half of respondents identifying as “new users” of the platform
Boston — April 18, 2018 — Cloud Foundry usage continues to accelerate across the globe, with broad deployments proliferating across enterprises within every industry, according to the semi-annual User Survey released today by the Cloud Foundry Foundation, home of the most widely-adopted open source cloud technologies in the world, at its North American Cloud Foundry Summit in Boston. The study revealed the continued increase in popularity of Cloud Foundry among developers and steady growth in adoption, especially across large organizations, thanks to its cost cutting and time savings.
According to the survey, enterprises in every industry and across the world use Cloud Foundry Application Runtime to develop, deploy and manage their cloud-native applications — and they’re deploying Cloud Foundry more broadly across their companies than ever before. Nearly a third (30 percent) of user respondents describes their Cloud Foundry use as “broad” — either rolling out or fully integrated across the whole company.
Since the 2017 User Survey was published in October, there has been a twelve point increase in adoption (both broad and limited). It’s therefore unsurprising that most companies responding to the survey are relatively new to Cloud Foundry, indicating sustained momentum in Cloud Foundry adoption. Time and again, evaluation of the technology leads to adoption.
Key findings from the survey include:
- A Global, Scalable, Broadly Deployed Platform: Cloud Foundry Application Runtime is used globally, with 40 percent of users in North America and a growing user base in Europe. It is deployed broadly across industries, including IT (48 percent) and financial services (16 percent). More than half (61 percent) of all Cloud Foundry users are large enterprises ($1+ billion annual revenue).
- A Mature and Evolving Platform: One-third of user companies have at least 100 developers using Cloud Foundry. The number of user companies with more than 50 developers using Cloud Foundry rose from 20 percent to 47 percent in the last year, and companies with more than 50 applications on Cloud Foundry rose from 24 percent to 40 percent in just over six months. Nearly a third (30 percent) of user respondents describes their Cloud Foundry use as “broad” with a 12 point increase in both broad and limited adoption from last year. And it’s not slowing down: 53 percent of user respondents have been using the technology for fewer than two years.
- A Flexible and Interoperable Technology: More than nine out of 10 Cloud Foundry users cite cross-platform flexibility as important, with 67 percent calling it “very important.” According to user respondents, 13 percent of Cloud Foundry Application Runtime (CFAR) users currently use Cloud Foundry Container Runtime (CFCR), which was launched after the 2017 User Report. Another 45 percent are evaluating CFCR, which is Kubernetes running on top of CF BOSH.
- A Platform Developers Love: A plurality (42 percent) of user respondents identify as developers or “devops” with the next largest share being architects (28 percent). These users have strongly favorable opinions toward Cloud Foundry, with 82 percent stating they would recommend Cloud Foundry to a coworker.
- A Platform Companies Love: More apps in less time. More than a third of Cloud Foundry users save a few months or more per application development cycle, and 10 percent report saving more than six months. How does that play out on the cost side? Nearly a quarter of Cloud Foundry users report saving $500K per application development cycle—17 percent of whom save more than $1 million. An “app a year” company transforms into an “app a week” company, and that has a compounding effect when it comes to saving time and money.
- An Open Source Value-Driven Technology: Above all, Cloud Foundry users value open source for the flexibility, interoperability and diverse community offered by the technology and ecosystem.
“This User Survey further proves that Cloud Foundry is the engine used by enterprises of all kinds to transform, build and deploy cloud-native apps at scale, ” said Abby Kearns, Executive Director, Cloud Foundry Foundation. “This growth in usage across every major industry indicates these businesses are counting on Cloud Foundry to drive their transformation to the 21st century.”
Cloud Foundry Application Runtime is a mature and growing cloud application platform used by large enterprises to develop and deploy cloud-native applications, saving them significant amounts of time and resources. Enterprises benefit from the consistency of Cloud Foundry Application Runtime across a variety of distributions of the platform, thanks to a Certified Provider program.
The 2018 1H Cloud Foundry User Survey is the second in a series of semi-annual surveys conducted and produced by ClearPath Strategies, a strategic consulting and research firm for the world’s leaders and progressive forces.
In total, 609 respondents completed the survey online from February 6-28, 2018. Respondents were invited to participate via Cloud Foundry Foundation emails, newsletters, Twitter, website and Slack channels, as well as direct invitation from certified platform providers and other members. Of the total respondents, 383 can be identified as “users.”
To receive a copy of the survey, go here.
Learn more about the findings from the 2018 1H User Survey in a Webinar on Wednesday, May 9 at 11:00 am PT with the ClearPath Strategies team.
Cloud Foundry is an open source technology backed by the largest technology companies in the world, including Dell EMC, Google, IBM, Microsoft, VMware, SAP and SUSE, and is being used by leaders in manufacturing, telecommunications and financial services. Only Cloud Foundry delivers the velocity needed to continuously deliver apps at the speed of business. Cloud Foundry’s container-based architecture runs apps in any language on your choice of cloud — Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), IBM Cloud, Microsoft Azure, OpenStack, VMware vSphere, and more. With a robust services ecosystem and simple integration with existing technologies, Cloud Foundry is the modern standard for mission critical apps for global organizations.
About Cloud Foundry Foundation
The Cloud Foundry Foundation is an independent non-profit open source organization formed to sustain the development, promotion and adoption of Cloud Foundry as the industry standard for delivering the best developer experiences to companies of all sizes. The Foundation projects include Cloud Foundry Application Runtime, Cloud Foundry Container Runtime, BOSH, Open Service Broker API, Abacus, CF-Local, CredHub, ServiceFabrik, Stratos and more. Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy and scale applications, and is used by more than half the Fortune 500, representing nearly $15 trillion in combined revenue. Cloud Foundry is hosted by The Linux Foundation and is an Apache 2.0 licensed project available on Github: https://github.com/cloudfoundry. To learn more, visit: http://www.cloudfoundry.org.
For Cloud Foundry Foundation