USN-3392-2: Linux kernel (Xenial HWE) regression
- Canonical Ubuntu 14.04
USN-3392-1 fixed a regression in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
USN-3378-2 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux Hardware Enablement kernel. Unfortunately, a regression was introduced that prevented conntrack from working correctly in some situations. This update fixes the problem.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Original advisory details:
Fan Wu and Shixiong Zhao discovered a race condition between inotify events and vfs rename operations in the Linux kernel. An unprivileged local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2017-7533)
It was discovered that the Linux kernel did not properly restrict RLIMIT_STACK size. A local attacker could use this in conjunction with another vulnerability to possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2017-1000365)
李强 discovered that the Virtio GPU driver in the Linux kernel did not properly free memory in some situations. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (memory consumption). (CVE-2017-10810)
石磊 discovered that the RxRPC Kerberos 5 ticket handling code in the Linux kernel did not properly verify metadata. A remote attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2017-7482)
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
Severity is high unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 3312.x versions prior to 3312.34
- 3363.x versions prior to 3363.31
- 3421.x versions prior to 3421.20
- All other stemcells not listed.
OSS users are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH stemcells:
- Upgrade 3312.x versions prior to 3312.34
- Upgrade 3363.x versions prior to 3363.31
- Upgrade 3421.x versions prior to 3421.20
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version available on bosh.io.