USN-3509-4: Linux kernel (Xenial HWE) regression
- Canonical Ubuntu 14.04
USN-3509-2 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux Hardware Enablement kernel for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Unfortunately, it also introduced a regression that prevented the Ceph network filesystem from being used. This update fixes the problem.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Original advisory details:
Mohamed Ghannam discovered that a use-after-free vulnerability existed in the Netlink subsystem (XFRM) in the Linux kernel. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2017-16939)
It was discovered that the Linux kernel did not properly handle copy-on- write of transparent huge pages. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (application crashes) or possibly gain administrative privileges. (CVE-2017-1000405)
Fan Wu, Haoran Qiu, and Shixiong Zhao discovered that the associative array implementation in the Linux kernel sometimes did not properly handle adding a new entry. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2017-12193)
Andrey Konovalov discovered an out-of-bounds read in the GTCO digitizer USB driver for the Linux kernel. A physically proximate attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2017-16643)
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
Severity is unspecified unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH trusty-stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 3312.x versions prior to 3312.49
- 3363.x versions prior to 3363.45
- 3421.x versions prior to 3421.35
- 3445.x versions prior to 3445.21
- 3468.x versions prior to 3468.16
- All other stemcells not listed.
OSS users are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH trusty-stemcells:
- Upgrade 3312.x versions to 3312.49
- Upgrade 3363.x versions to 3363.45
- Upgrade 3421.x versions to 3421.35
- Upgrade 3445.x versions to 3445.21
- Upgrade 3468.x versions to 3468.16
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version available on bosh.io.