USN-3631-2: Linux kernel (Xenial HWE) vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 14.04
USN-3631-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
It was discovered that a buffer overread vulnerability existed in the keyring subsystem of the Linux kernel. A local attacker could possibly use this to expose sensitive information (kernel memory). (CVE-2017-13305)
It was discovered that the DM04/QQBOX USB driver in the Linux kernel did not properly handle device attachment and warm-start. A physically proximate attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2017-16538)
Luo Quan and Wei Yang discovered that a race condition existed in the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) subsystem of the Linux kernel when handling ioctl()s. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system deadlock). (CVE-2018-1000004)
Wang Qize discovered that an information disclosure vulnerability existed in the SMBus driver for ACPI Embedded Controllers in the Linux kernel. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information (kernel pointer addresses). (CVE-2018-5750)
范龙飞 discovered that a race condition existed in the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) subsystem of the Linux kernel that could lead to a use-after-free or an out-of-bounds buffer access. A local attacker with access to /dev/snd/seq could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2018-7566)
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 3363.x versions prior to 3363.60
- 3421.x versions prior to 3421.56
- 3445.x versions prior to 3445.42
- 3468.x versions prior to 3468.41
- 3541.x versions prior to 3541.24
- 3586.x versions prior to 3586.5
- All other stemcells not listed.
OSS users are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH stemcells:
- Upgrade 3363.x versions to 3363.60
- Upgrade 3421.x versions to 3421.56
- Upgrade 3445.x versions to 3445.42
- Upgrade 3468.x versions to 3468.41
- Upgrade 3541.x versions to 3541.24
- Upgrade 3586.x versions to 3586.5
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version available on bosh.io.