USN-3999-1: GnuTLS vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 16.04
- Canonical Ubuntu 18.04
Eyal Ronen, Kenneth G. Paterson, and Adi Shamir discovered that GnuTLS was vulnerable to a timing side-channel attack known as the “Lucky Thirteen” issue. A remote attacker could possibly use this issue to perform plaintext-recovery attacks via analysis of timing data. This issue only affected Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. (CVE-2018-10844, CVE-2018-10845, CVE-2018-10846)
Tavis Ormandy discovered that GnuTLS incorrectly handled memory when verifying certain X.509 certificates. A remote attacker could use this issue to cause GnuTLS to crash, resulting in a denial of service, or possibly execute arbitrary code. This issue only affected Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Ubuntu 18.10, and Ubuntu 19.04. (CVE-2019-3829)
It was discovered that GnuTLS incorrectly handled certain post-handshake messages. A remote attacker could use this issue to cause GnuTLS to crash, resulting in a denial of service, or possibly execute arbitrary code. This issue only affected Ubuntu 18.10 and Ubuntu 19.04. (CVE-2019-3836)
CVEs contained in this USN include: CVE-2018-10844, CVE-2018-10845, CVE-2018-10846, CVE-2019-3829, CVE-2019-3836
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH xenial-stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 315.x versions prior to 315.36
- 250.x versions prior to 250.58
- 170.x versions prior to 170.78
- 97.x versions prior to 97.108
- All other stemcells not listed.
- All versions of Cloud Foundry cflinuxfs3 prior to 0.93.0
Users of affected products are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH xenial-stemcells:
- Upgrade 315.x versions to 315.36
- Upgrade 250.x versions to 250.58
- Upgrade 170.x versions to 170.78
- Upgrade 97.x versions to 97.108
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version available on bosh.io.
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends that Cloud Foundry deployments run with cflinuxfs3 version 0.93.0 or later.