USN-4068-2: Linux kernel (HWE) vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 16.04
USN-4068-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 18.04 for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
Adam Zabrocki discovered that the Intel i915 kernel mode graphics driver in the Linux kernel did not properly restrict mmap() ranges in some situations. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2019-11085)
It was discovered that a race condition leading to a use-after-free existed in the Reliable Datagram Sockets (RDS) protocol implementation in the Linux kernel. The RDS protocol is blacklisted by default in Ubuntu. If enabled, a local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2019-11815)
It was discovered that the ext4 file system implementation in the Linux kernel did not properly zero out memory in some situations. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information (kernel memory). (CVE-2019-11833)
It was discovered that the Bluetooth Human Interface Device Protocol (HIDP) implementation in the Linux kernel did not properly verify strings were NULL terminated in certain situations. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information (kernel memory). (CVE-2019-11884)
CVEs contained in this USN include: CVE-2019-11815, CVE-2019-11833, CVE-2019-11884, CVE-2019-11085
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH xenial-stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 456.x versions prior to 456.3
- 315.x versions prior to 315.72
- 250.x versions prior to 250.84
- 170.x versions prior to 170.111
- 97.x versions prior to 97.135
- All other stemcells not listed.
Users of affected products are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH xenial-stemcells:
- Upgrade 456.x versions to 456.3
- Upgrade 315.x versions to 315.72
- Upgrade 250.x versions to 250.84
- Upgrade 170.x versions to 170.111
- Upgrade 97.x versions to 97.135
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version available on bosh.io.