Developer Training and Certification
Q: What is the Cloud Foundry Foundation Developer Training and Certification Program?
A: The Cloud Foundry Foundation Developer Training and Certification Program is a suite of training and certification products expressly designed to equip developers with a valuable, marketable skill set across all distributions of the industry-standard cloud application platform (including Huawei FusionStage, IBM Bluemix Cloud Foundry, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, SAP Cloud Platform and Swisscom Application Cloud). The program includes:
- A free introductory course offered via the edX platform;
- A self-paced eLearning Cloud Foundry Developer class;
- A training partner program which includes licensed materials for in-person Cloud Foundry developer classes, offered by member companies including DellEMC, EngineerBetter, IBM, Pivotal, Resilient Scale, SAP, Stark and Wayne and Swisscom;
- “Cloud Foundry Certified Developer” Certification, awarded to individuals who pass a performance-based exam.
Q: What is the purpose of the Cloud Foundry Foundation Developer Training and Certification Program?
A: The program follows a report issued by the Cloud Foundry Foundation in November 2016 that surveyed nearly 900 IT executives worldwide and revealed a growing gap of developers trained in cloud skills, posing a threat to enterprises’ ability to embrace digital transformation and maintain modern business core competency. The report found that 64 percent of IT pros agree there is now or will soon be a developer shortage. (Read the Identifying the Developer Gap Report here.) The survey found companies are doubling down on training internal engineering teams, rather than outsourcing or hiring — hence the specially formulated developer training and certification program. Performance-based, community-based and independent of any distribution vendor, the Cloud Foundry Foundation Developer Training and Certification Program is the best way for developers to demonstrate cloud skills and expertise, and helps developers set themselves apart in a competitive job market.
Q: How will I, as a developer, benefit from Certification?
A: Organizations are looking for qualified developers that can be highly productive working on top of the Cloud Foundry platform. Our training program prepares you to work with Cloud Foundry and to understand how cloud native applications are designed and built. Further, certification demonstrates to the many employers looking for qualified developers that you have passed a performance-based knowledge exam and you have the skills they’re looking for, both in terms of conceptual understanding and practical hands-on experience.
Q: How will my organization benefit from providing Certification to its employees?
A: Our suite of training and certification products can help your organization transform, quickly bringing your developer population up-to-speed with the skill sets required to tackle your digital transformation needs. Additionally, Certification is an excellent way to verify that candidates you are considering hiring have the practical experience necessary to be productive working with Cloud Foundry.
Q: Where is the program offered? When does it start? How do I sign up?
- The free introductory Massive Open Online Course, or MOOC, is offered in partnership with the Linux Foundation and will be available via edx.org with the title “Introduction to Cloud Foundry and Cloud Native Software Architecture.” It will be available in early May.
- The self-paced eLearning “Cloud Foundry for Developers” is offered in partnership with the Linux Foundation. Students interested in enrolling can get more information here. Organizations interested in bulk purchase agreements, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Cloud Foundry Certified Developer certification is a performance-based certification exam designed to verify a candidate’s expertise using the Cloud Foundry platform and building cloud native applications. The certification exam is offered in partnership with the Linux Foundation and can be accessed here. (You will need a Linux Foundation ID. See below for details.)
- Additionally, the exam is also offered in-person at the Cloud Foundry Summit. Register for on-site certification when you sign up for Summit and receive a discount on your ticket.
Q: What qualifications are needed by a candidate for Certification in order to take the test?
A: Candidates for the Certification exam should have hands-on practical experience building software that runs on Cloud Foundry. Those who do not have this experience should choose a Cloud Foundry training course — either the free introductory MOOC or self-paced eLearning course.
Q: Is there training to prepare for the Certification exam?
A: Yes! Our Cloud Foundry for Developers eLearning course (or equivalent training from one of our training partners) provides developers with the knowledge necessary to be productive on the Cloud Foundry platform. Applying that knowledge, as well as spending time working with Cloud Foundry in a real world setting, will prepare developers for the Cloud Foundry Certified Developer exam.
Q: How is Cloud Foundry Certification different from what other organizations offer in terms of certifying computer technology skills?
A: Both our Training and Certification are specifically focused on developers building applications on top of the Cloud Foundry platform.
Q: How many exams constitute the Certification process? How long will it take? What topics does it cover?
A: There is a single exam that includes performance-based questions (complete the work/task) and multiple choice. It can take up to three hours to complete.
Candidates should be comfortable modifying simple Java, Node.js or Ruby applications. Topics covered in the exam include:
- Cloud Foundry Basics
- Cloud Native Architectural Principles
- Troubleshooting Applications on Cloud Foundry
- Cloud Native Application Security
- Working with Services in Cloud Foundry
- Application Management on Cloud Foundry
- Container Management within Cloud Foundry
Q: What score is needed to pass the test?
A: For the CFCD exam, a score of 71% or above must be earned to pass the exam.
Q: Where is the Certification exam offered?
A: The Certification exam is offered online. It will also be offered in-person at the Cloud Foundry Summit on April 18-20. Register for on-site certification when you sign up for Summit and receive a discount on your ticket.
Q: Do I need a Linux Foundation ID to register for the Certificate exam?
A: Yes, to register for the exam, you will need a Linux Foundation ID. If you do not already have a Linux Foundation ID, apply for one here. You will receive an email with the subject line: “Validate your Linux Foundation ID email.” Once completed, you can login when prompted with your new Linux Foundation ID credentials.
Q: Who offers the Certification and administers the exam? Do they offer other certifications?
A: The Cloud Foundry Foundation, in partnership with the Linux Foundation, offers the Certification exam. The Linux Foundation offers three additional certifications: Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator; Linux Foundation Certified Engineer; and Certified OpenStack Administrator.
Q: What is the cost of the Certification exam?
A: If you are an individual developer who wishes to purchase the Certification exam, you will pay $300. For a pricing list for organizations looking to purchase in bulk, please contact us at email@example.com
Q: What is the cost of the self-paced eLearning Cloud Foundry Developer training class?
A: If you are an individual developer who wishes to purchase the eLearning Cloud Foundry Developer training course, you will pay $500. For a pricing list for organizations looking to purchase in bulk, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Is there a discount on Certification and Training if I sign up for both?
A: Yes, there is a discount if you purchase the bundle. The cost of the self-paced eLearning course and Certification exam for an individual is $750 (cost savings of $50). For a pricing list for organizations looking to purchase bundles in bulk, please contact us at email@example.com.
Q: Is the introductory Massive Open Online Course really free?
A: Yes, the MOOC is free.