Keynote stage to include EngineerBetter, Resilient Scale, SAP Cloud Platform; on-site developer training offered in Basel, Switzerland
SAN FRANCISCO — July 11, 2018 — Cloud Foundry Foundation, home of a family of open source projects including Cloud Foundry Application Runtime, Cloud Foundry Container Runtime and Cloud Foundry BOSH, announced today that EngineerBetter, Resilient Scale, SAP Cloud Platform and more will be keynote stage participants at the annual European Summit at the Congress Center in Basel, Switzerland, October 10-11, 2018. Early bird registration ends Wednesday, July 18 and offers 55 percent off the full price.
“The Cloud Foundry Summit returns to Basel this year with keynote stage demos, developer-centric tracks, and the only available in-person Cloud Foundry developer certification. This event is can’t-miss for anybody serious about cloud-native technologies,” said Abby Kearns, Executive Director, Cloud Foundry Foundation. “I’m looking forward to spending time with our community and hearing from many of our end users. I’d also like to thank Platinum sponsors Dynatrace, VMware, SAP and Swisscom.”
More than 1,000 enterprise developers, architects, engineers and executives from around the world are expected to attend the Basel Summit. Attendees will learn Cloud Foundry from those who build it and use it every day. They will join other developers, end users and CIOs to gain first-hand access to Cloud Foundry roadmaps, training and tutorials, and to see how others are using Cloud Foundry to support continuous innovation and application portability.
- Two keynotes this year will underscore the necessity of male allies in diversity and inclusivity initiatives in the open source and Cloud Foundry communities.
- Steve Greenberg of Resilient Scale — a consultancy focused on building capabilities through collaboration, training and mentoring — will propose solutions for improving inclusivity efforts and making our community welcome to everyone.
- Daniel Jones, CTO of EngineerBetter — a consultancy offering Cloud Foundry, BOSH and Concourse CI services in the UK — will investigate implicit bias and share methods for how to overcome bias to create an open and inclusive community.
- Abby Kearns, Executive Director of Cloud Foundry Foundation, has spent nearly 20 years in the technology industry in a career that spans product marketing, product management and consulting across Fortune 500 companies and startups alike. She will discuss the cloud-native explosion, why it matters to the enterprise and the role that open source software, platforms, and ecosystems play in developing software at scale.
- Florian Müller, Technical Lead Platform Foundation & Services for SAP Cloud Platform, is a member of the Open Service Broker API PMC and responsible for OSB related activities at SAP. He will do a demo of the Peripli Project, a project led by SAP with support from Google, IBM, VMware and SUSE, which gives operators the ability to share Open Service Broker-compliant services and service instances among different platform instances.
- Additional keynotes will be announced in the coming months.
Breakout Tracks include:
- Cloud Foundry in the Enterprise
- Featuring a user story from Fidelity International’s Rachael Wonnacott
- Containers and Serverless (sponsored by SAP)
- Featuring a talk from IBM’s Surya Duggirala that highlights the similarities and differences between Cloud Foundry’s Garden containers with other container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Core Projects
- Featuring a talk from VMware’s Natalie Arellano and Matthew Horan on the Garden Window team’s plans around Cloud Foundry Container Runtime support for Windows, and the shared architecture of Application Runtime and Container Runtime support for Windows
- Featuring a presentation from VMware’s Zoe Vance and Denise Yu on best practices for service adapter design and use cases in which the open source project the On-Demand Service Broker (ODB) may provide a helpful abstraction
- Experiments & Extensions
- Featuring a talk by VMware’s Angela Chin on how to integrate your own networking solution for Cloud Foundry and CNI
- Operations and Security (sponsored by VMware)
- Featuring VMware’s Deborah Wood and Chisara Nwabara with Armakuni’s Zenon Hannick in a discussion on how to mitigate risk when failure is not an option
Cloud Foundry Foundation will carry on the tradition of hosting a diversity event at Basel Summit. This year, there are three sponsorships available for the Diversity Luncheon. One sponsorship will directly support The Chasing Grace Project, with the total amount going towards production of the series. The other sponsorship is available to two sponsors and will support the Diversity Luncheon itself, which will include a screening of an episode from the docuseries The Chasing Grace Project, written and directed by Jennifer Cloer, co-founder of Wicked Flicks Productions.
There will also be a free Hackathon for developers with prizes awarded to the top three teams and first place winners announced on-stage during Thursday morning keynotes. The 2018 Boston Summit winning Hackathon team will be featured in the Experiments track.
Cloud Foundry is an open source technology backed by the largest technology companies in the world, including Dell EMC, Google, IBM, Microsoft, VMware, SAP and SUSE, and is being used in production by leaders in manufacturing, telecommunications and financial services. Only Cloud Foundry delivers the velocity needed to continuously deliver apps at the speed of business. Cloud Foundry’s container-based architecture runs apps in any language on your choice of cloud — Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), IBM Cloud, Microsoft Azure, OpenStack, VMware vSphere, and more. With a robust services ecosystem and simple integration with existing technologies, Cloud Foundry is the modern standard for mission critical apps for global organizations.
About Cloud Foundry Foundation
The Cloud Foundry Foundation is an independent non-profit open source organization formed to sustain the development, promotion and adoption of Cloud Foundry as the industry standard for delivering the best developer experiences to companies of all sizes. The Foundation projects include Cloud Foundry Application Runtime, Cloud Foundry Container Runtime, BOSH, Open Service Broker API, Abacus, CF-Local, CredHub, ServiceFabrik, Stratos and more. Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy and scale applications, and is used by more than half the Fortune 500, representing nearly $15 trillion in combined revenue. Cloud Foundry is hosted by The Linux Foundation and is an Apache 2.0 licensed project available on Github: https://github.com/cloudfoundry. To learn more, visit: http://www.cloudfoundry.org.
For Cloud Foundry Foundation