USN-3234-2: Linux kernel (Xenial HWE) vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 14.04
Ralf Spenneberg discovered that the ext4 implementation in the Linux kernel did not properly validate meta block groups. An attacker with physical access could use this to specially craft an ext4 image that causes a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2016-10208)
It was discovered that the Linux kernel did not clear the setgid bit during a setxattr call on a tmpfs filesystem. A local attacker could use this to gain elevated group privileges. (CVE-2017-5551)
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 3151.x versions prior to 3151.14
- 3233.x versions prior to 3233.16
- 3263.x versions prior to 3263.22
- 3312.x versions prior to 3312.22
- 3363.x versions prior to 3363.14
- All other stemcells not listed.
OSS users are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH stemcells:
- Upgrade 3151.x versions to 3151.14 or later
- Upgrade 3233.x versions to 3233.16 or later
- Upgrade 3263.x versions to 3263.22 or later
- Upgrade 3312.x versions to 3312.22 or later
- Upgrade 3363.x versions to 3363.14 or later
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version.