USN-3690-2: AMD Microcode regression
- Canonical Ubuntu 14.04
USN-3690-1 provided updated microcode for AMD processors to address CVE-2017-5715 (aka Spectre). Unfortunately, the update caused some systems to fail to boot. This update reverts the update for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Original advisory details:
Jann Horn discovered that microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and branch prediction may allow unauthorized memory reads via sidechannel attacks. This flaw is known as Spectre. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information, including kernel memory.
This update provides the microcode updates for AMD 17H family processors required for the corresponding Linux kernel updates.
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
- Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 3363.x versions prior to 3363.68
- 3421.x versions prior to 3421.69
- 3445.x versions prior to 3445.54
- 3468.x versions prior to 3468.54
- 3541.x versions prior to 3541.36
- 3586.x versions prior to 3586.26
- All other stemcells not listed.
OSS users are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH stemcells:
- Upgrade 3363.x versions to 3363.68
- Upgrade 3421.x versions to 3421.69
- Upgrade 3445.x versions to 3445.54
- Upgrade 3468.x versions to 3468.54
- Upgrade 3541.x versions to 3541.36
- Upgrade 3586.x versions to 3586.26
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version available on bosh.io.