USN-3910-2: Linux kernel (Xenial HWE) vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 14.04
USN-3910-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
It was discovered that the f2fs filesystem implementation in the Linux kernel did not handle the noflush_merge mount option correctly. An attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2017-18241)
It was discovered that the procfs filesystem did not properly handle processes mapping some memory elements onto files. A local attacker could use this to block utilities that examine the procfs filesystem to report operating system state, such as ps(1). (CVE-2018-1120)
Hui Peng and Mathias Payer discovered that the Option USB High Speed driver in the Linux kernel did not properly validate metadata received from the device. A physically proximate attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2018-19985)
It was discovered that multiple integer overflows existed in the hugetlbfs implementation in the Linux kernel. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2018-7740)
Jann Horn discovered a race condition in the fork() system call in the Linux kernel. A local attacker could use this to gain access to services that cache authorizations. (CVE-2019-6133)
CVEs contained in this USN include: CVE-2018-1120, CVE-2019-6133, CVE-2017-18241, CVE-2018-19985, CVE-2018-7740
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH trusty-stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 3586.x versions prior to 3586.93
- 3541.x versions prior to 3541.90
- 3468.x versions prior to 3468.107
- 3445.x versions prior to 3445.102
- 3421.x versions prior to 3421.122
- All other stemcells not listed.
Users of affected products are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH trusty-stemcells:
- Upgrade 3586.x versions to 3586.93
- Upgrade 3541.x versions to 3541.90
- Upgrade 3468.x versions to 3468.107
- Upgrade 3445.x versions to 3445.102
- Upgrade 3421.x versions to 3421.122
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version available on bosh.io.