USN-3816-1: systemd vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 16.04
- Canonical Ubuntu 18.04
Jann Horn discovered that unit_deserialize incorrectly handled status messages above a certain length. A local attacker could potentially exploit this via NotifyAccess to inject arbitrary state across re-execution and obtain root privileges. (CVE-2018-15686)
Jann Horn discovered a race condition in chown_one(). A local attacker could potentially exploit this by setting arbitrary permissions on certain files to obtain root privileges. This issue only affected Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Ubuntu 18.10. (CVE-2018-15687)
It was discovered that systemd-tmpfiles mishandled symlinks in non-terminal path components. A local attacker could potentially exploit this by gaining ownership of certain files to obtain root privileges. This issue only affected Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. (CVE-2018-6954)
CVEs contained in this USN include: CVE-2018-15686, CVE-2018-15687, CVE-2018-6954
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH xenial-stemcells are vulnerable, including:
- 170.x versions prior to 170.6
- 97.x versions prior to 97.33
- All other stemcells not listed.
- All versions of Cloud Foundry cflinuxfs3 prior to 0.38.0
Users of affected products are strongly encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends upgrading the following BOSH xenial-stemcells:
- Upgrade 170.x versions to 170.6
- Upgrade 97.x versions to 97.33
- All other stemcells should be upgraded to the latest version available on bosh.io.
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends that Cloud Foundry deployments run with cflinuxfs3 version 0.38.0 or later.